Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 26--My Week

So, each weekday is a variation on Day 25's post. C works M-F, and E and I hang home-side. We like to get our goings-on done before lunch and nap time.

We are lucky that both sets of grandparents (my parents and C's) live in town. I try really hard not to overuse them for babysitters--E has never stayed with anyone else, except my brother and sister-in-law, and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. We are very lucky.

My point is that lately it's been a real boon having all this babysitting help. I have at least two doctor's appointments a week for myself (OB and therapist), and usually some random, better-if-kid-free shopping to do (i.e. choosing picture frames or greeting cards). Also, since I'm usually an exhausted whale by the end of the afternoon, it's nice to have people around to spell me if needed.

So, our activities, to be plugged in on any given day, usually include a trip to the zoo or science museum, a trip to the dry cleaners, a trip to Wegman's, music class (usually Fridays), and, twice this Fall, Cub Club at the Zoo. I was initially bummed out because we got shut out of most of the classes I'd tried to register . . . for . . . anyway. And then we attended our first class. Oy. All I can say is I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't a former K teacher. And thankfully, E is pretty well behaved and even-tempered. But then again, what do you expect for six bucks?

Thursday nights I have a standing date with some super cool friends--we watch Project Runway together, eat lots of tasty treats, and laugh our asses off.

Weekends are generally really nice. C gets up with E on Saturdays, so I can sleep in. Although, sleeping in for me is about 7:30 or 8--but it's still really nice. We've been going to the Farmer's Market a few blocks away nearly every Saturday since early Spring. We usually meet Mo and A and O (her kids) at the Market. C and I take E for a walk with the dog in tow. Unfortunately my walks have been abbreviated, as waddling through the streets isn't all that comfortable these days. C gets things done around the house--recently it's been painting, taping, raking, fixing concrete, getting our basement ready for the heating-system huge overhaul happening, oh, next week. When E takes his nap, I usually run to Target or on some other errand. The afternoons see more of the same from the morning. Lately C and I have been trying to fit in a date night--a necessary component of any marriage, I believe.

Sundays are church days--we head down to the UUCB. Sometimes I go alone, but when E and C accompany me, C takes E up to the kids' room after about 15 minutes. These days we come home to watch the Bills (blech), and then when E gets up, we head to my in-law's for pasta dinner. E gets to play with his cousins, T and D who are 9 and 7. They are so good with him, and he loves them so very much. "The gulls, " he calls them. We eat our pasta dinner with my sister- and brother-in law, my parents-in-law, usually C's grandmother, too. It's very cozy and filling and delicious. I like pasta dinner. Sets a nice tone for the week ahead.

I used to bake bread every Sunday; I think as the weather gets colder I'm going to fire up my oven once more.

So there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment